Call for Proposals
Archives Day 2022 sessions will be held online. Archives Day 2022 sessions will be held every Wednesday in October in observance of American Archives Month. The organizing committee invites proposals for presentations under the theme, “Looking Out, Inviting In.”
Archives Day 2022 ThemeYou are invited to submit proposals for individual and group presentations, best practices, successes, and workflows in support of the theme, “Looking Out, Inviting In”.
As archives continue to transition from invisible to more dynamic channels of visibility and access, this year’s SFAC theme for American Archives Month, “Looking Out, Inviting In” underscores engagement as a means of looking out and inviting participation in the access and use of archival and special collections.
Archival workers engage in a breadth of activities in keeping with their institutional missions of building, growing, preserving and promoting archival and special collections. Discussions may center around areas such as partnership, procurement, preservation, teaching and learning and programming.
Potential lines of inquiry:
- What are the motivating factors (cost-sharing, collection expansion etc.) for creating partnerships and collaborations?
- How are our negotiating skills and knowledge of ethics in procuring collections?
- What are the challenges of growing and preserving collections?
- How are we engaging our communities–faculty, staff, students, the media, and the general public–with archival collections for fostering critical thinking and debate/discussion about the past?
- What are the values of archival collections? How are we communicating these values (curriculum-mapping, programming etc.)?
- Other topics relevant to the theme.
- Submissions should be simple narratives of 150- 200 words that explain the purpose of the session, the intended audience, and how the session will be conducted.
- Proposals will be evaluated based on relevance to the theme and time constraints.
- Lighting Talks: Sessions consisting of four to six 8-to-10 minute informational talks. (1.5 hours)
- Individual/Group Sessions: Presentation followed by a comment-and-discussion period. (1 hour)
- Panel Presentations: Two to four speakers present on a common theme. May include a moderator to steer discussions and/or introduce speakers. Presentations may highlight new collections, outreach programs, innovations, software, or hands-on demonstrations. (Presentations may be from 10 to 20 minutes long, with the time allotted depending on the number of presenters. 1 hour).
- Poster Presentations: Visual displays of projects, activities, or applied or theoretical research. Presenters will be given the opportunity to discuss their poster with attendees.
Proposals are due on Friday, September 16, 2022 by 5 p.m.
Questions regarding your submission, proposal criteria, or the submission process should be addressed to Annia Gonzalez ().
#SouthFLArchivesDay2022 #ArchivesDay2022 #ArchivesMonth2022