Acute toxicity of copper sulfate in juvenile red drum (Sciaenops ocellatus) and the establishment of safe methods to control parasitic disease
Master of Science (MS)
First Advisor's Name
L. Scott Quackenbush
First Advisor's Committee Title
Second Advisor's Name
Third Advisor's Name
Ronald D. Jones
Date of Defense
A series of static 96 hour acute toxicity tests were performed on juvenile red drum of different sizes. The tests were implemented to assess the acute toxicity of copper sulfate to juvenile red drum and establish narrowly defined guidelines for its usage in the treatment of Amyloodinium ocellatum and Cryptocaryon irritans. Median lethal concentrations at which a 50 percent mortality response (LC5 o) were observed ranged from 0.28 mg/1 to 0.88 mg/l in the series of five 96h static acute toxicity tests. A significantly higher sensitivity was observed in early juveniles (2.9 g, 53.3 mm) versus the test runs using older juveniles (11.9, 24.4, 24.7, and 34.4 g). Based on the results of acute toxicity tests and actual experimental treatment regimes performed throughout this study, administration of 0.4 mg/1 CuSO4 for 3h daily over a 14d duration is believed to be a relatively safe, yet effective dose for maturing juvenile red drum.
Frese, Thomas Jay, "Acute toxicity of copper sulfate in juvenile red drum (Sciaenops ocellatus) and the establishment of safe methods to control parasitic disease" (1994). FIU Electronic Theses and Dissertations. 3418.
In Copyright. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).