Journalism and Mass Communication
Introduction to Television is designed to familiarize students with the history and development of television in the United States and help students understand some of the factors impacting televisual media today. By the end of the semester, students will:
- Become familiar with the history and development of television in the United States.
- Gain a better understanding of the technologies behind televisual media.
- Form educated opinions of current TV topics.
- Understand the role of the FCC and the major regulatory acts.
- Understand basic ratings systems.
- Gain an appreciation of new developments in televisual media, such as social media, streaming media, mobile video and more.
- Work in teams to develop a Content Plan for a televisual production.
- Write a trade article on some current trend or problem in televisual media.
- Take a midterm and a final exam.
Jacobson, Susan, "RTV 3007 Introduction to Television" (2016). Course Syllabi. 1.