CALL FOR PAPERS
The Department of Global and Sociocultural Studies’ Graduate Student Association (SAGGSA) at Florida International University invites you to participate in our 6th Annual Graduate Student Conference.
Migrations and Diasporas
Florida International University, Miami, FL
Each year the Graduate Student Association of the Department of Global and Sociocultural Studies (SAGGSA) at Florida International University hosts an interdisciplinary conference around one of the department’s three overlapping thematic focuses. This conference is intended to provide a supportive and collaborative forum for interested graduate students to present original research and engage with other graduates and faculty researching similar topics from a variety of disciplinary perspectives, including anthropology, geography and sociology. As such, we welcome and encourage presentations on research in any stage, formative or finished.
This year we invite papers that critically engage with migrations and diasporas, broadly defined. Potential topics may include, but are not limited to:
• Internal and external migration
• Mobility and Immobility
• Diasporas and Cultural Diffusions
• Politics of Exile/Refugee experience
• Resistance and Integration
• Nationalist identities
• Border security and militarization
Abstracts should be submitted via the conference website by January 15, 2017. Please limit abstracts to 250 words. Accepted participants will be notified within a week following the deadline. Accepted papers will be organized topically by the conference organizing committee. .
Any questions can be directed to Jack Vertovec (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Browse the contents of The SAGGSA Graduate Student Conference:
- Sixth Annual SAGGSA Graduate Student Conference: Migrations and Diasporas
- Fifth Annual SAGGSA Graduate Student Conference: Identities and Inequalities
- Fourth Annual SAGGSA Graduate Student Conference: New Climates in Nature Culture
- Third Annual SAGGSA Graduate Student Conference: Hybrid Notions in Cultural Studies and Beyond
- Second Annual SAGGSA Graduate Student Conference: Im/Mobilities & Dis/Connections
- First Annual SAGGSA Graduate Student Conference: Transgressing Boundaries and Occupying Spaces: Examining Inequalities in Nature-Culture